If you are going to the beach then apart from having fun you also have to be careful about the effect of the sun on your skin. This is the reason that you need to follow some tips about skin care on the beach. The risk of sun burn and damage from the sun on the shore is the maximum compared to any other place. Let us look at some tips to protect your skin on the beach.
- Discontinue use of exfoliants – If you use exfoliants regularly, then it increases the sun sensitivity of the skin by about 45%. It is advisable to stop using this one week before going to the beach.
- Sunscreen lotion – Apart from the SPF number its efficiency also depends on the number of times you apply and the quantity you use. I prefer to use SPF 30 every one hour on the beach
- Beach Umbrella – One of the best ways to protect your skin from the sun is by avoiding the sun as much as possible. We suggest buying your own umbrella at places like Walmart, or you can find some cheap versions online too (ร่มดี) if you’re on a budget.
- Be aware of areas of skin which are oily – The areas of the facial skin with larger pores always produce more oil. These natural oils can decrease the effect of sunscreen quickly, hence if you have oily skin or oily areas on the skin, then you should apply sunscreen more often. For instance, the nose area on most people’s face is the oiliest.
- Apply skin in forgotten areas – When you apply sunscreen, you often forget the ears, hairline, toes, tops of feet, and eyelids. These are the areas that you should pay special attention to.
- The shade may not be safe – Even under an umbrella, you get the sun especially when you are near the ocean. This is because the water reflects the sun rays and hence you need to apply and reapply sun screen lotion. Do not think that you are safe under an umbrella.
- Wearing a hat and sunglasses – It is a good idea to wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your facial skin from premature aging due to exposure to the sun if you frequent the beach often.
- What if you have acne? – The salt in the sea helps in destroying bacteria that cause acne. Thus going for a swim in the ocean can help clear breakout. If you have oily acne prone skin, then you should use a sun screen that is suitable for your skin.
- Rinse off the salt water – the salt water that kills bacteria is also very dehydrating which is good for blemishes but not for dry skin. Make sure to rinse off the salt water with plain water before you leave the beach. Then go home and take a thorough bath with a bathing gel.
- Wear mineral makeup – Most mineral powders have an SPF rating of 20, and this will give you extra protection. They will give you a finished made up look without being too heavy for the beach. I use good quality mineral make up which protects my skin on the beach.
When I have applied sun screen and got sun burned in spite of that, I have noticed that either I applied too little sun screen or not repeated often enough. Sun screen efficiency can be reduced due to sweat and water; this is the reason that you should reapply sun screen every one hour at least and more in the oily areas of the skin.